Year 6 – 7 Transition
Tarneit P-9 College
Year 6 – 7 Transition
Year 6 to Year 7 Transition
Students from various Primary Schools enter Tarneit P-9 College at Year 7, joining our own cohort of year 6 students. We welcome and integrate all students by blending new groups to make all students feel welcome and at home in Year 7. With a dedicated team of Year 7 teachers and housed in their own learning space, students soon make the adjustment to routines of Secondary life. The transition from primary school into secondary school is an important one, that is why we provide your child with a range of supports to help make this transition as smooth as possible.
For students who are moving from another school in Year 6 into Year 7 at Tarneit P-9 College, parents must adhere to the statewide Year 6 to Year 7 placement timeline which can be found in the Placement Information Packs detailed below.
Moving from a government primary school
If your child is seeking a place in Year 7 at Tarneit P-9 College, you will need to:
- download the ‘Placement Information Pack for Government School Parents and Carers’. Your child’s government primary school may also give you a copy of the pack or form.
- use Find my Schoolto locate your local secondary school or preferred school.
- complete the Application Form and return it to your child’s primary school by Friday 13 May 2022.
Year 7 placement is decided by secondary schools. However, all communication about your child’s placement must be with your child’s primary school until the placement is confirmed. All parents will receive notification of your child’s Year 7 placement in a government secondary school on Wednesday 20 July 2022. If any of your details on your child’s form change, you are requested to notify your primary school immediately.
Moving from a non-government primary school
Families of Year 6 students at Catholic, Independent, and home schooling, you will need to:
- download the ‘Placement Information Pack for Non-Government School Parents and Carers’.
- use Find my Schoolto locate your local secondary school or preferred
- complete the Application Form by Friday 13 May 2022 and return to either:
- your child’s non-government primary school; OR
- directly to your preferred government secondary school.
All parents/carers will be notified in writing of your child’s Year 7 placement offers on Wednesday 20 July 2022.
All government secondary schools will host a Year 7 Orientation Day (for Year 6 students) on Tuesday 13 December 2022. Your child will be placed in a group where they will rotate through activities involving English, Maths, PE, Art, Performing Arts and Food Technology and will have the opportunity to get familiar with the College, meet their teachers and other students which will assist them with their transition in 2023.
Current Year 6 Tarneit P-9 Students
If your child is continuing at Tarneit P-9 College for Year 7 you do not need to make an application. Your child’s classroom teachers will be in contact with you regarding your intentions.
If you require more information, please contact our enrolment team on 03 9749 0506, or send an email to email@example.com.